Saturday, March 11, 2017

#188: Morne Trois Pitons National Park (Page 869, 2nd Ed pg 1080)



Feb 22, 2017
Dominica is known as the "Nature Island" and it's not hard to figure out why!
The book describes Morne Trois Pitons as a "25-square-mile slice of nature that looks and feels more like Hawaii than the Caribbean" and I couldn't agree more!  Every caribbean island I've ever been to has been relatively similar to the one before and the one after.... except this one.  The whole time I was there, I kept saying "I feel like I'm in Hawaii!"  Specifically Kauai.

Our first stop:  Trafalgar Falls
You can either pay $5/person for each hike/sight within the park or get a $12.50/pp pass which covers everything within the park and is good for a week.  We chose the latter.

Trafalgar is a quick, easy 15-min, beautiful hike!


Next, we hiked to Middleham Falls.  It's a much longer, more strenuous hike.  45 minutes is a conservative estimate and lots of uphill and downhill.



In our case, it took us well over 2 hours of arduous hiking because we went out on our own and the path is NOT well-marked.  You come to a gazebo-type place and have 3 choices, none of which are labeled as Middleham falls.  One was labeled as something else, so we knew it wasn't that, but we chose to go right (and should have gone left!).  We hiked a good 45 min-an hour in that direction before realizing our mistake.  Whoops!

But even so, once we eventually got there, it was worth every step!

It was one of the most beautiful waterfalls we had ever seen!

And you can even get in!  It's COLD!  I thought I was going to die of hypothermia when I first jumped in, but by the time I made it to the other side, I was ok.

And braving the cold, was DEFINITELY worth jumping into the falls.  SO cool!!!

From this angle, it looks like nothing, but when I was up there looking down, it looked REALLY high up!

The trail we accidentally took.  Whoops!
But hey, if you have the time, I recommend it!

45 minutes (without any accidental detours!)

Next stop:  Titou Gorge


Verdict:  Yes, Yes, YES!  Loved Dominica!  Everyone should visit Morne Trois Pitons National Park, the highlight of Dominica if they can.  It is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.  Tons of hikes, waterfalls and gorgeous scenery.  An absolute hidden gem of the caribbean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...