Monday, August 21, 2017

#198: The Balsams (page 661, Listed as The Great North Woods in the 2nd Ed, pg 824)

August 17, 2017

I can see why the Basalms made the top 1000 list

Because it looks like this.


But..... my verdict is.....

Verdict: No.  Because it's closed.  We drove all the way there, planning to eat lunch, spend the afternoon, stroll the grounds, etc.  Only to find it closed.  And apparently (per the townspeople), it's been closed for like 7 or 8 years.  It is undergoing massive renovations and is being changed into a time share.  I even called to see if there was any way I could get a tour.  But two of the roads to get there were closed and the woman that answered the phone said that you have to make a timeshare appointment to even walk inside the place now.  So, looks like you only have 999 places to see before you die now.

Note:  In the 2nd Edition, it doesn't list this anymore.  I thought it was for obvious reasons (see above) until I read the entry and it specifically talks about visiting the Balsams "a magnificent, old-fashioned resort....over 200 guest rooms and offers loads of activities."  My only explanation is that the book was published in 2011 and it maybe closed between then and when we visited in 2017? And the locals who said "7 or 8 years" were off by a couple years? I just looked up the history of the place and found this "As of 2017 (the year I was there), The Balsams is closed for renovations after being purchased by new owners for $2.3 million in December 2011 (the year the 2nd Edition was published)."   It's listed as "The Great North Woods" in the 2nd Edition, but even so, my verdict doesn't change.  We drove all around this area.  It was scenic and the towns were cool, but nothing about it was a "must do before you die" experience.  Maybe once this place opens after the planned $170 million renovations, it will be!  For that much money, I would hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...