Wednesday, July 27, 2022

#312: Art Gallery of Ontario (pg 763; 2nd Ed "Art Gallery of Ontario and the Royal Ontario Museum" pg 932)

 

Monday, July 25, 2022
Excited to go check out the AGO!
But wait.... why won't the door open?  If you zoom into the pic and see the hours listed, you'll notice this museum is open six days a week and happens to be closed on, you guessed it, Mondays!! Ugh!  Of all the rotten luck.  Shame on me for not researching that better ahead of time, but seriously - why close on every Monday if you're a world class museum and have lots of people that want to check you out on Mondays!  Sigh....  So, I did the best I could.  They have some outwork outside the museum that we looked at and I peaked in all the glass windows all the way around and looked on their website to do a virtual tour while I was waiting outside.  While I was lamenting my rotten luck, this guy walked by (who had attempted to walk into the museum, only to see it was closed) and said "I've lived in Toronto all my life and had no idea the AGO was closed on Mondays!"  He suggested we check out the nearby park that also housed some outdoor sculptures/art pieces.

So, we did!  Here are my two daughters at Grange Park on Henry Moore's "Large Two Forms." Henry Moore donated more than 800 of his works to the AGO, which now holds the largest collection of his art.

Cost:  $25 for adults over the age of 25.  All those under 25 are free!
Verdict: Okay so I'll admit, I did't get the full experience (I'll get it again in the future since I still have to come back to Toronto for the International Film Festival!) but I'm convinced it wouldn't change my verdict.  It's not a must do before you die.  The architecture of the building itself is really a sight to behold.  It was designed by Toronto native Frank Gehry who also designed the Guggenheim Museum Bilbau.  And it's known as one of the finest museums on the North American continent, so if you're an art buff, then this should be on your list.  Just make sure you go on a Tuesday - Sunday 😉🎨

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...