Wednesday, June 2, 2010

#10: Pennsylvania Dutch Country (pg 699, 2nd Ed pg 860)

A couple weeks ago, a friend came to visit me from Seattle. As I was telling her about the sights to see in the area, she immediately got excited when I told her I lived within driving distance of "Amish Country." I had been here once before, but it was over 10 years ago, so I was excited to go back! The Amish live all over Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, but we spent the bulk of our time in 2 towns: Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse. Here we are about to take a ride in an Amish buggy throughout the Amish farms and land. These are available for $10 per person.
And what trip to Amish Country is complete without a visit to the actual phone booth used in the famous scene in Witness (with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis)? This is located just outside Zimmerman's General Store.
A word to the wise. Don't buy it. We got so excited when we saw this sign for home-made rootbeer since we both love it. But, turns out, they use sassafrass root and yeast to make it instead of dry ice and store-bought rootbeer flavoring and it tastes, well, like yeast.
It is so fun just to see the Amish tilling their lands and working their fields.
We came across this incredible sight: 33 buggies in a row. It turns out, they were on their way to a funeral, so out of respect, I didn't take any more pictures than just this one. But it was very neat to see.
And this is what I call my "National Geographic" picture.
VERDICT: Go, if you can. It's very inexpensive and you get to view beautiful land and people along with eating some very yummy home-made goodies. We ate at "Bird-In-Hand Family Restaurant." I wouldn't do that one again - too touristy. But there are plenty to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...