Friday, June 22, 2018

#225: Carnaval in the Heart of the New France (pg 775; Listed as Vieux - Quebec in the 2nd Ed, pg 940)

June 18-20, 2018
Quebec City!


The monument that marks the historic conference that took place here in QC between the heads of the US, British and Canadian government during WWII.


Crepes!
We felt like Crepes were a must do while in QC, so we went to Casse-Crepe Breton.
And while I still think crepes are a great food choice while in QC, I wouldn't recommend this place.  They were just "okay" - nothing to write home about. 

Ella with the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac as a backdrop.

Le Chateau Frontenac and the Chamberlain statue in the center of Old Town.

Strolling the Terrasse Dufferin






Heading down to the Lower City.
We all LOVED this mural that depicts town life then and now merged together. 


And my favorite of all the streets in QC!




Poutin!
Another "must do" when in QC, but I'll be honest.... it's a one and done for me!  And all 5 of my other family members agree! I guess my American palate is just way too used to ketchup with fries instead of gravy!

And you can't go to QC without visiting Montmorency Falls, just outside the city.  It is the 2nd most visited site in QC outside of Old Town.


And even if you take the cable car up (like we did to avoid the nearly 500 stair climb with little kids!), you HAVE to take the stairs down.  And when you come to the point where you can turn left to stay dry or turn right to get wet - turn right!!

The view from above - pretty impressive, considering it's higher than Niagra Falls!

And there's no better way to end a day in QC than to stop for ice cream....

And head to the water fountains in the middle of town.

Verdict:  Yes!!!  We all LOVED QC!  Here's a hint:  Stay in Old Town.  Nearly everything you will want to see and do (aside from Montmorency Falls) is in Old Town, so it's worth it to stay there.  You won't want to leave.  It is literally Europe transported to North America.  Everything you see, hear, taste and smell feels like Europe.  It's amazing!
Side note:  I'll be honest..... I debated whether to "count" this or not because the title of "place to see" refers to the Carnaval, which takes place in winter and we were obviously there in summer.  But in the end, I decided to count it because, if you read the description on pages 775-776, only 2 paragraphs talk about the Carnaval while the rest of it jus refer to Quebec City and Old Quebec in particular.  And we saw and did and tasted everything there is to see and taste and do in Old Quebec! So, I'm counting it!  Although, I loved it so much, you wouldn't have to twist my arm to come back and when I do, I'll do it in the Winter!

Price:  We stayed at an Air BnB in Old Quebec.  The location was FABULOUS and it was ~$150/night.  If you are American, the $ is strong at the moment ($1.00 = $1.30 Canadian), so it makes everything a little more affordable.  Montmorency Falls is Free.  You only need to pay for parking ($10) and if you want to take the cable car (it was $45 for our family of 6).






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...