Friday, June 22, 2018

#227: Montreal's Summer Festivals (pg 771, 2nd Ed, pg 936)

June 20, 2018
I go to Montreal in the SUMMER and read all about their Festivals and figure that as long as I'm not picky about what festival I go to, then I'll hit one because there are dozens of festivals all summer long! But alas, a few nights before arrival, I researched what festival(s) I will be going to (by default of when I will be there) and discovered that sadly, several festivals (Fringe Festival, Mural Festival, Montreal Folk Festival) just ended 3 days ago and the Jazz Festival is getting ready to start next week, so I was super bummed that I just missed a festival on either side of when we are here (the one I REALLY want to go to is the Fireworks Festival from July 7- Aug 8th!)
So, anyway, I had to settle for going to the Place Des Arts on Sainte Catherine St where it all goes down.  We walked all around and saw them taking down and setting up for the festivals that just were and are about to be and got a feel for it all.


 Montreal Museum of Fine Arts

And went to the closest "festival -type experience" I could find. 
Across the street from the Museum of Fine Arts (and just up the road from Place Des Arts where all the festivals take place), I came across opening night of this Moving Dunes temporary exhibition.  Because it was opening night, there was music and food and a bar and people and a festival-type atmosphere.  So, I'm counting it!  The Montreal Summer Festival of the Moving Dunes inauguration!




Verdict:  No.  I totally get why this is a great place to see festivals.  The Place Des Arts on Sainte Catherine Street is absolutely built for festivals.  Huge open spaces.  Several big stages.  A convention-center type building.  Open areas, closed areas.  And on either side of all of this are streets lined with restaurants and shops and such.  But even so, I don't see why seeing a festival here is a must do.  I don't think seeing a festival here versus somewhere else is a "must do before you die."  But if I ever do come back here in the summer, rest assured, it will be during the Fireworks Festival!
Price:  Varies depending on what festival you go to. Some are free.  But this area is open and a pretty impressive place clearly built for the festival experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...