Wednesday, February 24, 2010

#2 - The Alhambra (pg 257, 2nd Ed pg 246)

On November 21, 2004, I visited the unbelievably amazing La Alhambra in Granada, Spain.  Granada is located in the southern Andalusia region of Spain.  We stayed in Marbella, but La Alhambra was just a 2 hour drive from Marbella.  At the time I went, admission was 10 Euros and the Audio tour (which I highly recommend) was 3 Euros.  Here I am at the entrance with my sister, Maret.

Maret enjoying the beautiful gardens.

"1001 Places to See Before You Die" recommends La Alhambra (pg 257) and I couldn't agree more.  The book quotes an inscription within the walls of the Alhambra that "Nothing in life could be more cruel than to be blind in Granada."  It truly is a sight to behold!  Most of this beautiful fortress was built in the 1300's and the ornate nature of everything has been very well preserved.

The View


You can get an idea of the intricate designs.

My sister and I sitting on one of the fortress walls within La Alhambra. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...