Friday, February 26, 2010

#3: The Great Pyramids of Giza (pg 345; 2nd Ed pg 378)

I had a very memorable 21st birthday. I spent the day climbing the inside the largest of the Giza Pyramids - Cheops. But prior to the pyramids, we went to The Sphinx. I spent my Spring term after my Junior year (May and June of 1997) on a Study Abroad to Jerusalem. We spent most of our time in Israel, but we also spent some time in Jordan and Egypt. In fact, we ended the study abroad by spending a week in Egypt. Cairo, Egypt is hands-down, one of the most fascinating, amazing cities I have ever seen or experienced.

And no trip to Egypt is complete without a camel ride!



Here is our group in front of Cheops, the largest and oldest (built circa 2500 B.C.) of the Pyramids. You can get an idea from this picture of the immense size of these beautiful creations. Many of the pyramids are closed to the public because of safety hazards. However, at least in 1997, you were able to go inside the pyramid and climb all the way to the top!

We made it! I am second from right in the front row. I wrote in my journal, "It was a long, steep HOT and SWEATY climb up there in a crouched position, but how neat!"

The Sphinx, a short distance from the pyramids.

I even still have my ticket stub! I am currently reading Jehan Sadat's autobiography, "A Woman of Egypt." Jehan Sadat is the widow of Anwar Sadat, former President of Egypt that was ultimately assassinated at the hands of his own Army for trying to make peace with Israel. As I have been reading her book, I have reflected on my time in Egypt, and must agree with Ms. Schultz on this one; it is indeed a "must see" before you die! (Page 345 of 1000 Places to See Before You Die).





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...