Saturday, September 11, 2010

#17: Florence (pg 212; 2nd Ed pg 203)

Aug. 31, 1999: Florence, Italy. Florence is located in Tuscany and is probably most famous for Michaelangelo's David statue (this is a replica - the original is housed inside the Galleria Dell'Accademia; it has been there since 1873) and "The Dome", officially known as "Il Duomo."
Here we are enjoying a delightful lunch in one of many outside cafes.

Il Duomo. It was originally designed in 1296, but consecrated in 1436.


Overlooking the beautiful city.
Verdict: Well, if you happen to be in Italy, go to Florence. There is obviously a lot of rich history and culture here. However, in my opinion, Florence is a "been there, done that" kind of city and I wouldn't go to Italy just to see Florence. I would make it as part of an Italian trip or a European trip, which is fortunately what we did. 

Update:
So, in 1999 I chalked Florence up to a "been there, done that" city.  And yet, here I am 23 years later visiting again.  I am exactly twice the age from the last time I was here.  And my 46 year old self looks at Florence much differently than my 23 year old self did.

We walked all around the Cathedral of Santa Maria Del Fiori and did the Rick Steves "Florence - A Renaissance Walk" audio tour.

We got up close and personal with Brunelleschi's famous octagonal dome - the symbol of Florence.


Piazza Della Signoria and Palazzo Vecchio

We wandered the halls of the Uffizi Galleries where we saw countless world-famous pieces including Botticelli's Allegory of Springtime

And Birth of Venus.

The Tribuna room which holds pieces that are so famous, so priceless that nobody is allowed inside and the pieces can only be observed from three separate viewing door/openings. 








We ate delicious food.

And went to The Accademia to see Michelangelo's David.
Last time I was here, my 23-year old poor college student self looked at the David replica out in the main square and "called it good" in order to save money.

This time, I went in and saw the real thing.  And it was spectacular.

So now I'm changing my Verdict. Maybe it depends on your age or stage of life that you experience Florence.  It obviously did for me.  So maybe if you're 23, you can pass Florence by.  But if you're older and wiser, you should absolutely go and soak in all this beautiful one of a kind city has to offer. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...