Monday, July 15, 2019

#267: Daytona Speedway (pg 748, 2nd Edition)

July 14, 2019
On the Daytona Speedway Track!

Crossing the finish line - feels good! 😉

This year's Daytona 500's winning car!

Victory Lane

Start your engines!


Sitting in the seats....

And soaking in the view.

I've got the whole place to myself!

In the media room sitting in the exact same spot that the race car drivers sit when they are interviewed after their races.

My husband.... contemplating a 2nd career choice.




After checking out the track, stands, etc, we went into the museum.

I had no idea the history of this race - how it used to just take place on the highway and beach.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!


Verdict:  No, Daytona Speedway is not something you need to experience before you die, unless you happen to be a diehard NASCAR fan.  Then, I imagine this would be your holy pilgrimage.  I, however, am not.  Can't say that I've ever watched a single race.  And, also, I'm sure it's a much different experience if you come here during Speedweeks (the two weeks leading up to Daytona 500) or to the Daytona 500 itself.  What we did was the "All Access Tour", a 90-minute behind-the-scenes tour of the facility at a cost of $26/adult.  I will say, however, that even though I give this a "No" and even though I'm not a NASCAR enthusiast, I'm still glad we did this!  We both really enjoyed the tour, learned a lot and have a new appreciation for the sport.  And, as always with my travels, I love that I can "picture" where all of this takes place.  And whatever it is you are picturing..... it's bigger! It's only 60 miles North of Orlando, so next time you're visiting the theme parks, take a couple hours out of your day and visit the speedway!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...