Tuesday, December 28, 2021

#304: Bonaire Marine Park (pg. 861); 2nd Edition Bonaire National Marine Park (pg 1068)

 

Dec. 28, 2021
Hello, Bonaire!

When we first arrived to the island, we hired a driver to show us all around!  He started by giving us the South Island Tour ($25/person) and took us to the Pink Salt Flats.

These were truly amazing!  They looked even pinker in person.  I've never seen anything like it!


My daughter Lacey sampling some of the salt!

From there, we went to the slave quarters.  A sobering reminder of the slaves that worked the salt flats.



From there, we got as close to Pekelmeer as we could.  Bonaire is one of only four locations in the world where the American Flamingo breeds.  Bonaire is so proud of this fact that it named it's airport "Flamingo Airport" and painted it pink!

Although flamingoes can be found throughout the island, most of them are at Pekelmeer, which is not open to the public.  You can see literally thousands of them from the side of a road through binoculars or, if you're lucky, you can see them come in much smaller numbers closer to the beach and road like we did. 

Next Stop: Lac Bay

Crystal clear water!


Lac Bay is famous for it's kite surfers and kite surfing school.  We debated swimming here, but we really wanted to snorkel, so our driver took us to another place better known for it's snorkeling.....

Finally time to jump in the water!
 We were told that this beach is knows as Coco Beach, Eden Beach and Spice Beach.  Apparently it's all one in the same!  Whatever the name, the water was glorious and the fish were plentiful!


I'm scuba certified and Bonaire is a perfect island to dive!  However, nobody else in my family is certified and I didn't want to ditch them all to head out on my own, so I settled for snorkeling and it was still fabulous!  We saw tons of colorful fish and beautiful marine life!

VERDICT:  I loved Bonaire!  I'm so glad we came here and I would absolutely come back!  Next time I come, I plan to explore more of the North part of the island and go diving!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...