Saturday, February 26, 2011

#104: Niagra Falls (Page 763, 2nd Ed pg 929)


June 1986: Admittedly, I found these pictures on the internet and did not take them myself. I was 10 years old when I went to Niagra Falls and, while I remember it quite well, I can't find any pictures from the event! My family went on vacation to Niagra Falls. I still remember learning all about the history of the Falls, people that went down the falls in barrels and all kinds of other stories. In my journal, I wrote about going on a tour called "Cave of the Winds." And I made a note that it was "exciting and fun."

Update:  August 9, 2012.  Well, after a 26 year hiatus, I visited the Falls again!  This time with two of my friends.  We went on the Maid of the Mist boat.  I highly recommend this.  Very fun, only takes about 30 minutes and it's the only way to see the Falls from the water.  Cost:  $15.50 per person

The Falls from the perspective of Maid of the Mist


Up close and personal with the Falls on land.
Tip:  Keep your rain jacket on after getting off the boat, walk a little ways and you will see a walking path that will bring you very close to the falls for no extra charge (only other way to get this close is to take the Cave of the Winds tour).

The three of us from the Canada side.   I highly recommend this as well.  Park your car on the US side ($10), then walk across the bridge to Canada (no charge, but bring your passport).  There is a beautiful walking path that gives you a perspective of the falls that you can't get from the US.  There is a 50 cent toll to walk back to the US.


Verdict: Just by the fact that I clearly remember these Falls when I saw them at the age of 10 over twenty years ago is reason enough to say that yes, this is something you should see and experience in your lifetime. And I hope to make it back there when my own kids are 10!

UPDATE:  July 24, 2022
I made it back when my kids were 10!  Well, 9,11, 14 and 15 to be exact!  But Here I am back here almost 10 years to the day from my last post bringing my kids with me.  We did the Maid of the Mist (Cost is $25.25/adult and $14.75 for kids) and brought our passports to experience the falls from both sides.

Riley (11) and Ella (9) ready to see Niagra!
I love that my last post, written 10 years ago ended with me saying I hoped I could bring my kids here when they were 10.  And here I am back here with my two youngest on either side of 10.

Ready to go on Maid of the Mist!

On the boat and getting sprayed - glad we had the ponchos!

Mother and son.

The falls up close.


Feeling more than a "mist"!

Me and my hubby.

After going on Maid of the Mist, make sure to walk up to Crows Nest where you can get right next to the falls.  It's wet but awesome!

We also went to the overlook.

And paid the quarter to see the falls through the telescope.

And then made our way over the Rainbow Bridge to Canada!

View of the Falls from Rainbow bridge. 

Straddling the international boundary line. 

Ice cream with a view!

After a long day, go back to your hotel and rest and have dinner.  Then head back out to Prospect Point to see the Falls lit up at night and to see the 10pm Fireworks show over the Falls!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...