Wednesday, December 1, 2010

#76: Crater Lake National Park (Page 696, 2nd Ed pg 856)


September, 2010: Here I am 7 1/2 months pregnant with Baby #3 and holding my Baby #1 :) I took my Lacey out to Medford, OR to visit my Grandma and Medford just happens to be about a 2 hour drive from Crater Lake. It was rather cold and drizzly on the day we were there, but the Lake was spectacular!

The lake is an amazing blue color. It is 5 miles wide and surrounded by cliffs that are almost 2000 feet high. Spectacular! It rests on the remnants of a volcano, Mount Mazama. Mount Mazama erupte and collapsed into itself ~7,700 years ago. Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the USA and the 7th deepest in the world.

Crater Lake became a national park on May 22, 1902. There are 3 restaurants (we ate at one attached to a gift shop). The cost is only $10/car and that is good for an entire week.

Verdict: I loved Crater Lake. If I ever get the chance to visit Crater Lake again (and I hope I do!), I would love to stay for a couple days, hike, etc. But I was with my 90 year old Grandma and 3-year old daughter, so our activities were somewhat limited. But it was absolutely spectacular and I highly recommend this. In fact, I dub it "one of the 7 wonders of the USA."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...