Thursday, December 9, 2010

#82: Graceland and the Elvis Trail (Page 711, 2nd Ed pg 872)


August 8, 2010: Each year, my husband takes a "mancation" while I stay home and watch the kids and I take a "womancation" while he stays home. This year, my womancation was to Tennessee with my friend, Mindy. We concentrated our visit to the cities of Nashville and Memphis. And obviously, no visit to Memphis is complete without visiting Graceland!

The front of the mansion


The back yard


He is buried in the back yard along with his parents, grandmother and twin brother (did you know he had a twin? I can't remember now if his twin was a still born or lived a day or two, but anyway, he died as an infant either in utero or very shortly thereafter and is buried here).


The famous pink cadillac...


And, if you're going to see Graceland, what better place to stay than the Heartbreak Hotel?


In addition to Graceland, you can visit the famous Sun Studio, where Elvis cut his first record.


This is where it all began...


Beale street

Verdict: I'm not a huge Elvis fan. So, why go to Memphis, you ask? Well, I don't quite recall how we decided on that, but I'm glad we did because we had a blast! I have to say that I have a renewed appreciation for Elvis after this trip. I thought of Elvis as a drug-abusing womanizing party animal prior to this trip. But after taking the Platinum Tour (cost $34), I came to see him as a charitable, giving, talented, family-oriented man. I still don't think I would consider this a "must" before you die (and the Heartbreak Hotel is totally overrated, by the way, although still glad we stayed there just for the novelty of it!), but if you love Elvis, there is no better way to spend your day. And even if you don't, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised, as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...