Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#95: The Smithsonian and Beyond (Page 735)

May 2010: As stated in my previous post, because I have lived in the DC area for the past 6 years, I have been to the Smithsonian institutions many, many, many times. However, every time I have a friend come visit, I get excited to go back and see them again! My friend, Vicki, came out for a visit in May of 2010 and Visiting the American History Smithsonian was a definite highlight of our DC sight-seeing! The American History museum is one of my favorites. It houses the kitchen of Julia Child (shown here)
And Dorothy's red shoes from the Wizard of Oz. It also has the exhibit which shows all the inaugural gowns of the First Ladies and, of course, the original Star Spangled Banner. It's a fabulous museum!
Verdict: Yes. Admittedly, I haven't been to all of them (I used to think "The Smithsonian" was one place, when in fact there are 19 museums/galleries and 1 Zoo for a total of 20 Smithsonian institutions). My favorites are the Air and Space Museum, the American History and the Natural History Museum. I also like the Zoo because of the Panda bears, but I have to say, if you've been to some other fabulous zoos like San Diego or something similar, you will likely be disappointed. Having said that, most of these museums (including the zoo) are free, so you can't beat free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...