Friday, November 5, 2010

#61: Art Institute of Chicago (Page 624; 2nd Ed pg 785)


So, here's the thing. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, so needless to say, I've seen the Art Institute dozens of times. However, the last time I was actually INSIDE the Art Institute was in High School, I believe. So, if I do have any pictures of it, I have no idea where they are. However, since my husband was just in Chicago a few weeks ago and hit up the Art Institute while he was there, I have pictures for my blog after all! Here is in in front of the lions outside the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue.

Seurat's famous pointillist work: Sunday on La Grande Jatte from 1884.

Grant Wood's American Gothic

Verdict: I remember studying the La Grande in school and being fascinated to see it in "real life." There are numerous very famous works here and it is a fabulous art museum. In fact, we recently went to "The Met" in NYC and my husband said he preferred the Art Institute to The Met. So, if you're an Art Lover, don't miss the Art Institute of Chicago!

Note:  This is no longer a separate entry in the 2nd Edition.  It is simply listed as one of the attractions under "Chicago."  And I can see why.  Chicago is simply a must do before you die experience as a whole.  And this museum, among many other sites, attractions, restaurants etc all rolled into one is the Chicago experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...