Monday, November 15, 2010

#66: Obrycki's (Page 643; Listed as Baltimore Crabs in 2nd Ed, pg 802)

My daughter takes after me --not a big crab lover!
But my niece, Becky sure is!

Digging in.....


And the whole effect.... butcher paper, mallets, lots of crab shell "scraps"....

If you've been to Obrycki's, then you probably realize that none of these pictures were taken at Obrycki's! I went to Obrycki's on May 7, 2009 as I was invited to a Pharmaceutical-sponsored dinner. Since it was a business dinner, and I was eating with a bunch of people I didn't know, I didn't take any pictures. But, how do you do a blog on eating crabs Maryland-style without pictures?? So, I "borrowed" some from one of our family crab-feasts that we had just 3 months after my dinner at Obrycki's.
Verdict: I'm not a seafood lover and, to be honest, I'm somewhat morally opposed to eating crabs. It just seems wrong and almost barbaric to beat the heck out of a crab (even though he's already dead) to get a tiny bit of meat. Most people could easily eat 6-12 crabs for a meal. I just don't think it's right for 10 crabs to die so that one person can eat one meal. But this blog isn't about my morals. Regardless, I think Obrycki's is something you can pass on. However, if you are a crab lover and you're visiting Maryland, then by all means, Obrycki's has what you are looking for -- butcher paper, mallets and all!

Note:  Definitely a move in the right direction to change this entry from Obrycki's in the 1st edition to "Baltimore Crabs" in the 2nd.  Baltimore is famous for it's crabs and there are several places you can have this experience, so no need to single out Obrycki's!  And while I don't every crave crabs myself, we've had a lot of fun over the years taking family and friends out for crabs when they come visit (I have now lived in Baltimore two separate times for a grand total of 15 years.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...