Wednesday, October 6, 2010

#32: The Sinai (pg 349; 2nd Ed pg 379)

May, 1997: We headed into the desert in search of the nomadic Bedouins. Here I am with a group of small children. I made a note in my journal that it looked as if they had never bathed or been groomed in any way their whole lives. I also made a note that of the few children pictured here, three of them couldn't speak and one of them was also deaf.
Here I am with a small girl in front of her "home."

They lived and traveled with livestock and here I am holding one of the several baby goats.

Pictured here is a 15 year old girl who was making bread. There were several sticks holding up a piece of fabric which served as her only source of shade or shelter.

I volunteered to help her make the bread. She used flour, water and salt, then placed it on top of a round metal sheath on top of a fire that she started herself.
Verdict: Considering this 2-month study abroad to Israel, Jordan and Egypt was my first time leaving the USA, aside from venturing into Canada to see Niagra Falls, you can imagine my fascination seeing how the Bedouins lived. I had no idea anybody lived like that, much less had the opportunity to meet them and visit with them. This was one of the most memorable parts of the trip!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...