Wednesday, October 27, 2010

#47: Pacific Coast Highway (Page 578; 2nd Ed pg 724)

April, 2003: Check out this view. It looks like some lush foreign land, but it's the good ole' USA.... from the viewpoint of the PCH!
An undiscovered coast. Or at least it felt like it. One of our stops along the PCH - one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen and yet NOBODY was there. Literally not one single person.

Another view from the PCH in Northern California (between San Francisco and Oregon border)


Hearst Castle


My Hearst Castle (located in San Simeon, not too far off the PCH) was actually on a separate trip, but like Hollywood, due to the fact that I lived just minutes from the PCH in Huntington Beach, I couldn't just pick one time I'd been there since I have driven on the PCH hundreds of times. However, two times that stand out are my purposeful PCH drive where a friend and I flew to Sacramento, rented a car, headed for the coast and drove up North. Truly some of the most breathtakingly beautiful sights I have ever seen. And the second time is when I drove to Hearst Castle with some friends. Hearst Castle sits atop "Enchanted Hill", the name the owner, Mr. William Randolph Hearst, called the hill where he built this magnificicent 115-room mansion. We took a day-time tour (fabulous) and a night-time tour (even more fabulous). The night-time tour had people dressed in clothes of the time and acting as if they were guests. So you saw people lounging by the pool, playing billiards, in their room reading the newspaper, etc. It was fun to have that "feel" of the home.
Verdict: Absolutely gotta do it! But, while the PCH runs along almost the entire coast of California, my personal preference is up North. More scenery and less traffic!













No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...