Wednesday, October 6, 2010

#34: Christmas in Bethlehem (page 399; Labeled as West Bank in 2nd Ed, pg 451)

May, 1997: Admittedly, I went to Bethlehem in May, not during Christmas, but hey, I went to Bethlehem, so I'm couting it!
This is supposedly the actual spot where Christ was born.
Shepherd's Field is nearby and we spent the evening at Shepherd's Field after visiting the birth place of Christ. This is a picture I took from my camera. It just looks like how you would envision it looking in the time of Christ.
And this is a postcard. Isn't it amazing how similar it is to the picture I took?
Verdict: I happen to be Christian. I don't know if visiting Bethlehem would have the same effect on someone who is not Christian. But Bethlehem is a Christian-Arab town. It is now very commercialized, unfortunately, but Shepherd's field is quiet and peaceful. At least it was in 1997. I came across someone selling white baby blankets. I bought five - one for me and each of my four siblings so that each of us could have a white baby blanket from the birthplace of Christ for our babies. I have wrapped both of my babies in this blanket and it reminds me of this special place.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...