Wednesday, February 13, 2019

#245: The San Diego Zoo (2nd Ed, pg 725)

I went to the San Diego Zoo in March of 2002.... pre-digital camera.  I only have three pictures from the entire time I spent there.  And here are two of them.

Famous for it's pandas!

Verdict: No.  Explanation:  The San Diego Zoo is pretty amazing.  It's one of the greatest zoos in the country and arguably one of the greatest zoos in the world.  BUT..... that's just it.... I think there are several other zoos throughout the world (even the country) that rival this one, so I guess I don't necessarily agree with singling out this one as a must do before you die.  In fact, it wasn't in the first addition, but it was added to the 2nd edition in 2011.  It's famous for it's pandas and I guess I could see it if it was the only zoo with pandas, but that's not the case either.  In fact, as of 2018, there are 26 zoos in 18 countries that have pandas.  There are several in the United States, including the DC Smithsonian zoo, Memphis zoo and Atlanta Zoo.  
Even though I don't think it's a "must do before you die", I do think it's a great way to spend an afternoon in San Diego and, as I mentioned, a pretty amazing zoo.  But bring your wallet!  Admission prices are $56/person for ages 12 and over and $46 for kids ages 3-11.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...